THE CALL OF THE RIVER NUN BY GABRIEL OKARA




I hear your call!
I hear it far away;
I hear it break the circle
of these crouching hills.

I want to view your face
again and feel your cold
embrace; or at your brim
to set myself and
inhale your breath; or
like the trees, to watch
my mirrored self unfold
and span my days with
song from the lips of dawn.

I hear your lapping call!
I hear it coming through;
invoking the ghost of a child
listening where river birds hail
your silver-surfaced flow.

My river’s calling too!
Its ceaseless flow impels
my found’ring canoe dawn
its inevitable course.
And each dying year
Brings near the sea-bird call,
the final call that
stills the crested waves
and breaks in two the curtain
of silence of my upturned canoe.

O incomprehensible God!
Shall my pilot be
my inborn stars to that
final call to Thee
O my river’s complex course?


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFRICA BY R.E.G. ARMATTOE

FREETOWN BY GLADYS CASELY-HAYFORD